Jason has lived in Taichung, Taiwan for the past 4 years, after previously doing a stint in China. Listen to this episode to find out:
- What brought Jason to China in the first place.
- How he practiced learning Chinese before moving to China.
- The benefits of learning Chinese from a native English speaker, and what to look for
- How he compares interacting in Chinese in China versus Taiwan
- How he compared living in Nanjing versus Shanghai
- What prompted him to move from China to Taiwan
- His thoughts on traditional classroom learning versus modern methods
- His thoughts on learning to type versus learning to read.
- His approach to learning to read while learning to speak
- How he received a scholarship to learn Chinese in Taiwan (and what key approach he used)
- The differences between Chinese and Taiwanese people
- His communication approach with his Taiwanese wife
Resources and links mentioned: Anki flashcard program, Taiwan Ministry of Education Scholarship information