In this episode, I interview Wesley. He’s an American, with degrees in Chinese and translation.
Listen to this episode to find out:
- How Wesley got interested in Chinese in the first place.
- How he found Chinese easier to learn as a second language than Spanish.
- What his teacher did to significantly increase his interest in learning Chinese.
- Why it’s important to learn the whole culture rather than just the language.
- What aspect of Chinese drove his main interest in the language.
- His biggest struggle learning Chinese in LA.
- What his best decision was, regarding learning Chinese.
- What he learned on the street that they don’t teach in textbooks.
- What he learned from taking a degree in translation.
- Why he learned more from his grad school classmates than from local friends.
- What happens to foreigners as they live in Taiwan / China for an extended period.
- The difference in culture working for a Taiwanese run company.
- Why you also need to maintain your English, while living in a foreign country.
- The benefits and limitations of having a local partner, with regards to improving your Chinese.